Skip to main content

The Insecure Writer's Support Group: Give yourself a break!

The holidays kill me. There's so much stuff--lights, trees, parties, happy, alcohol, children, hot chocolate, snow, family, fudge, Charlie Brown...It's so exciting, and there are so many sources of inspiration, BUT it's exhausting and everything moves so fast.

I never get much writing done at the end of the year.

Perhaps back in high school, when my world was small and ALL ABOUT ME, the words came effortlessly. And I wrote and wrote for days, thinking I was the poo. And I was--a big smelling one. The writing was worse than poo--I can't even read it that's how shitty it is.

There's one story--I must have been 16 or 17 when I wrote it--about a tricycle. I spent most of a single-spaced page explaining how red it was--candy apples, rubies, fire engines, cherries, screaming, burning, red, RED, RED...It baffles the crap out of me that I had so much to say about a primary color. Surely there was something more interesting in my life than a tricycle.

Some days you have it, and some days you don't

It's easy during the holidays--any stretch of time moving faster than light--to get down on yourself for being unproductive. I may write squat for the rest of the month, and that's OK--it really, really is. Don't spin your wheels and hate yourself if the words aren't worth the paper they're printed on. It's a losing battle. 

Ask an insomniac--time trumps desperation every time.

Go out! Enjoy your friends and family. If you have to write, WRITE! If you're sitting alone in a room like I am right now crying, pulling my hair and cursing everything that exists because the words all abandoned me--STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER.

Words aren't like dogs. They're more like cats and lovers. Be ambivalent and they'll come home wagging their tails behind them. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

The Insecure Writer's Support Group: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Comments

  1. Yes! I reached this conclusion last year. I'd set up too many writing expectations for myself and had not enjoyed the year at all. If we're going to write about life, we need to remember to be living it too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delightful post and thank you for the positive support in taking the time to just be.

    Best regards,
    Donna
    Award-winning Children’s Author
    Ignite Curiosity in your child through reading!
    Write What Inspires You Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree that we should take breaks when we need them, either because the words won't come or there are more important demands on our time (like family - not like watching TV)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, holiday season is always a hard time to get writing! But I agree, one should enjoy it! Last year, during this time I swallowed myself in writing, but this year I've fallen behind. I tell myself constantly not to fret and enjoy the holidays with friends and family while I can!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great advice! This time of the year is about family. Stop and enjoy life a little.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the high school story. I wrote impressive carp back then too. I think as writers were sometimes too quick to beat ourselves up, and we shouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really appreciate your skilled approach. These square measure items of terribly helpful data which will be of nice use on behalf of me in future.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I showed you mine -- it's your turn now.

Popular posts from this blog

The insecure writer's support group

The ground is important -- for several reasons.

Among them

Gravity makes no sense without it -- there's no mandate that science be logical so long as our scientists are the smartest smartypants on the planet, in which case "because I said so" is an acceptable explanation. The ground is important, because it's something to build on -- a starting point, a foundation.

I respect the ground, because it has on occasion fallen out from under me, and it's rather unsettling to watch your life in free-fall mode -- to see your accomplishments disintegrate in an instant or a decade in some cases. It all depends on how fast you're falling.

Most of us drop in slow motion. We'll catch a ledge or an up draft every once in a while and think "this is it!" But then we go on falling. Or do we? Is the "bottom" just a figment of our imaginations? Can we lay new ground wherever we choose?


Ask Alice

None of my friends growing up were impressed with Disney's…

Writers get laid

Writers get laid -- or they would if they tried -- because people -- especially women -- are impressed by the phrase, "I'm a writer." It's romantic.

Introducing yourself as a writer insinuates substance and depth of character; people like that. They don't know why, except that one-dimensional characters on T.V. sitcoms and big-screen romantic comedies prattle on and on about the whole package -- a good looking, funny, intelligent single with rock-solid values and money.

People admire the skill and dedication it takes to be a novelist or a journalist or a screen writer  -- "I always wanted to be a writer," they tell you with stars in their eyes.

Whether they know it's a myth or not they imagine us in rich, thrilling lives with sports cars and beach houses and Louboutin shoes like Carrie Bradshaw. So the woman at the grocery store doesn't feel bad when she puts back the US Weekly she read cover to cover before she checks out.

Or downloading unauth…

TOWANDA!

I am one dumb-luck happenstance away from a full-fledged nervous breakdown -- no kidding this time.

My back is pretty sturdy by now -- random bouts of unemployment, mounting debt, hooligan children, crazy family members (they're all nuts including me) -- I can carry a shit-ton of crap in my nifty ain't-life-swell backpack, but I'm no frickin' body builder. And it's not even big things that are pushing me over -- random bouts of unemployment, mounting debt, hooligan children ... it's the shit-storm of stupid people raining down on me like poops from Heaven.
The latest was a Florida couple--a mullet-sporting, NASCAR-loving twat and her top-heavy husband -- in a movie theater parking garage. I was so close to knocking their teeth down their throats -- that's assuming they had teeth -- I could taste blood.
For starters they came fishtailing into the garage and nearly plowed into a row of parked cars. They raced around the place like a couple of Earnhardt wannab…