Skip to main content

Another LOVely Valentine's Day

Thank God it's over.


I've hated Feb. 14 ever since I was a four-eyed geek with no hope of ever having a boyfriend to fondle in the lunch room. And even when I wasn't a four-eyed geek -- and I could get boyfriends I never managed to have one on Valentine's Day.

I was a hideous girlfriend, which karmically explains how I ended up with Jerod -- Mr. Romance, if romance is snoring on the couch with King of the Hill or Moonshiners on television.

I gave up on champagne and candlelight many, many years ago. Something in the way Drunk Jerod vomited in the lobby at the Olive Garden on our first dress-up date told me I shouldn't hold my breath for any fantastic gestures with flowers and jewelry and bubble bath.


Romance is overrated.

I like the cotton grandma panties that come in packs of 20 at Costco. I like sweatpants and hoodies and a bed all to myself.

The highlight of Valentine's 2012 was Lily's classroom party, which I -- being a room mom -- contributed to with homemade sugar cookies and pink buttercream frosting. If it sounds simple -- it should have been -- it wasn't.

Much like I'm not the kind of woman who wears pretty underwear and receives pretty "I-love-your-panties" roses on Valentine's Day; I'm not the kind of mother who puts together beautiful party activities for her children. I try, but I fail. The cookies turned out -- sort of. Ashlyn took a couple of bites of one and handed it back to me with a sort of disgusted scowl.

"I no like," she said shaking her head.

Lily was more diplomatic.

"I think something's missing," she suggested. "They don't have much flavor."

I told her the frosting would take care of that -- sugar cookies are supposed to be boring.

The frosting tasted very good, but it was rather stiff and tricky for the kids to spread on their cookies with plastic knives -- a quarter of the class including Lily opted out of the activity.

So I returned home with a lot of cookies and buttercream frosting, and I spent most of the evening in the bathroom with what I assume was butter poisoning.

Comments

  1. Well at least there was no pressure from the hubby on Valentine's day. Sorry the cookies didn't turn out. That is a bummer to spend time on something like that only to have it not turn out the way you'd like. I can bake several things, sugar cookies never turn out for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alexis! I saw your comment - I'll go check out the Linky and get you back on the IWSG list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks -- my eyesight must be going with my brain :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

I showed you mine -- it's your turn now.

Popular Posts

Verbal diarrhea: A family tradition

The insecure writer's support group

My husband did it