Skip to main content

My house is too messy -- I CAN'T WRITE

I'm nesting. I'm not pregnant or ever planning on becoming pregnant again. I'm nesting because our house is full of crap -- shiny bobbles, musical toys, farm equipment (?? ask my husband) -- which makes it difficult for a person with ADD to concentrate on breathing let alone writing.


I had a wonderful cozy room for writing and reading and hiding from my family, but somebody sent us a rather large play farm for Christmas. It's an awesome toy -- it has its own circuit board and all of the 9,999 pieces light up with the flip of a switch -- but it's taken over my dining-room table that seats 8 people. So I tore down my writing room today to make room for my children's toys.

The process started in Lily's room, where I filled two wardrobe boxes and two standard-size moving boxes with toys from just her closet. There's still shit everywhere. I realized about half-way through the process of clearing Lily's room that I didn't have any place prepared for the transfer. Why didn't I clean out the writing room first? I scurried down the hall and realized this time I had no place cleared out for my art supplies and writing gear.

So, I cleaned out the linen closet. Jerod came home mid purge and shot me one of his WTF-is-wrong-with-you looks on his way in the shower.


It bears mentioning, that my bed also resides or resided in the writing room -- my bed, my desk, my bookshelf, my armchair and my television. Moving out of the writing room required a good bit of furniture shuffling. Jerod told me my planned configuration for the master bedroom wouldn't work, and I politely sent him downstairs to stick his head up his ass.

He was right. None of the furniture fit the way I imagined.

Now we have a queen and a double pushed together to make one ginormous bed that the children are ecstatic about, because all four of us get to sleep in one bed tonight -- it sounds a little cultish doesn't it?

I've been at this for 12 hours now -- Lily's room is a disaster, the former writing room is a disaster, the master bedroom is a DISASTER, but the closets look very nice. ARG!

Comments

Popular Posts

Writers get laid

Insecure writer's support group

The insecure writer's support group