Skip to main content

Run for your lives


I've wracked my brain for a single word frightening enough to convey the horror I experienced on my drive to work yesterday, but there isn't one -- I'd have to invent a new one, because nothing like what I saw has ever occurred in history.

I witnessed an entirely new phenomenon; water falling out of the sky. I know it sounds crazy, but it really did happen -- tiny beads of water were splashing all around me. I thought to  myself: this is it -- I'm going to drown on the freeway in my car. The other drivers were obviously just as shaken, because they were driving in such a way to avoid the water. It was honestly the most terrifying experience of my life. The roadway was absolutely soaked, and who knows what the stuff was made of. I mean it looked like water, but it might have been something truly awful.

Think about it -- a colorless, odorless, tasteless liquid. I slowed the car to approximately 30 mph before I dug out my smart phone and typed in the search parameters. The results were quite chilling -- some poisonous, medieval tonic produced by a cult I'd never heard of called Iris; sulfuric acid; benzene; a long list of neurotoxins -- it was terrifying stuff; terrifying. Several drivers were beeping their horns at me; what were they trying to tell me? I jammed on the brakes to focus all of my attention on the stuff that was splashing on my windshield. It could have been anything -- some sort of government experiment, an alien invasion, sarin gas or worse.


Vodka's a clear, tasteless liquid -- we might have been under siege by the Russians. I thought about crawling under my car, but there was all that poison on the road. Traffic was moving fast around me, and the cars behind me were still beeping. I knew the government would have activated the emergency broadcast system, but stupid Jerod never fixed my car stereo. This was the end. I knew it.

I eased off the brake pedal and began driving again slowly. As it got lighter outside I could see people gesturing to me from their cars. They looked incredibly angry, one guy even made his finger into a gun and faked shooting me through his open window. I giggled of course, because I was safe in my car -- he'll be dead soon. But it happened over and over again -- every car that passed was driven by someone who seemed to want me dead. Or maybe they were shouting instructions or warnings. I finally rolled down my window to hear what they were saying.

"It's rain, bitch. Drive your f***ing car or get the hell off of the freeway."

What's rain? Where's my smart phone ... Oh God.

Comments

Popular Posts

Writers get laid

Insecure writer's support group

Verbal diarrhea: A family tradition